As children develop a greater sense of self, bright classrooms and large playgrounds create the backdrop for discovery. First Step encourages learning through teacher-guided solitary play as well as parallel play. Classrooms in our Two’s and Three’s rooms incorporate age appropriate learning stations, games, books and rhymes introduce concepts in math and science while imaginary play, music, and creative art expand upon the child’s existing knowledge and experience of the world.
Themes and consistency provide children with a stable foundation as they expand their language and decision making skills. Our Program Highlights for Two’s and Three’s Include:
- First Step introduces preschoolers to cognitive skills such as sequencing and matching and language art skills such as storytelling and process.
- Children are encouraged to progress at their own pace and according to their individual needs and abilities.
- Enrichment programs, such as different weekly authors, cooking, computers, music, etc, are incorporated into daily schedules.
- Visits from community helpers, doctors, dentists, etc., are incorporated into classroom time in order to provide real-world learning experiences.
- Teachers continue to emphasize gross motor skills with planned activities and free play both indoors and outside.
- Social skills and concepts are emphasized and enhanced by circle time, snack and lunch times.